Friday, September 12, 2014

An Update on my Boys

Yesterday's post was a bit of a downer.  Like I said, it's been a long week.  But the good news is W slept through the night, which means mom got some sleep!!  I feel like a new person - except now I feel like I may be coming down with A's cold.  Uggh.  Anyway, time to talk about my boys... <3

It’s no secret that I love to talk about W.  I want to remember all the cute things he says and the funny things he does.  Lately, he makes me laugh constantly and I’m always surprised by his level of understanding.  After thinking that toddlerhood was going to be really tough and expecting that I wouldn’t really enjoy this stage, I’ve actually found myself loving raising a toddler (lately).  Well, except for the lack of sleep.  I realize this could change in a minute.  A couple months or so ago, W was having tantrums, hitting, and throwing various objects.  He still does these things occasionally, but not nearly as often.  He’s started saying quite a few more words, which helps him communicate, which leads to less frustration (I think).  Anyway, a couple fun things lately…

W had woken up from a nap and was cranky.  Usually extra cuddles and a snack perks him up.  Well on this particular day, I was in a hurry.  I needed to change clothes so I brought him to the bedroom with me and sat him on the bed.  I thought I’d change quickly, then pick him back up and head downstairs for a snack.  There were a few articles of clothing laying on the bed near him.  He picked one up, held it triumphantly over his head, and yelled “BRA!!!!”.  A happened to be in the room and I think both of our mouths dropped.  Then we burst out laughing.  I had no idea W knew that word (or that article of clothing) and for someone who hardly talks, it was hilarious to hear him say that.  I guess all guys like bras – even at 1 year old.

W was working on a farm puzzle and I was naming the pieces.  One of those pieces was a barn.  As soon as I said barn, W insisted that we go downstairs.  When we got to the bottom of the staircase, W ran and grabbed a book called Chickens to the Rescue.  He quickly turned the pages until he found the picture he was looking for – a red barn similar to his puzzle piece.

I’ve mentioned that W likes to watch videos of himself on my phone.  I had one video on the other day.  It was from quite a while ago – probably 6-7 months ago.  I was asking him what various animals said.  What does the cat say, what does the sheep say, etc.  Well, as he was watching the video, he was answering my animal noise questions very enthusiastically.  Really cute. J

My mom and W were reading the book about monkeys jumping on the bed.  You know… where one falls off and bumps his head.  Well, upon hearing that, W jumped off the couch and bumped his head on the (carpeted) floor just like the monkeys in the book.

And possibly, my favorite one yet… I was trying to figure out if I should bring W over to his grandma’s house.  He wasn’t feeling well and I didn’t know if she’d be comfortable watching him.  I didn’t want anyone else to get sick.  I texted her, but didn’t hear back right away.  In the meantime, I was trying to get ready for work and the only way I could do so was to give W my phone to watch videos of himself.  In that time, as we were getting ready to leave, unbeknownst to me, W’s grandma called my phone.  Naturally I didn’t hear it and W somehow managed to text back “Can’t talk now  - I’m on my way”.  I kid you not.  Fast forward a few minutes and I have W in the car.  I check my phone and see that W’s grandma called so I try calling back.  No answer.  Then I notice a text - “Can’t talk now  - I’m on my way” and assume it’s from her since I didn’t type it.  So now I’m confused as to whether I’m dropping off W or she’s coming to my house.  So apparently there is some iPhone setting that allows you to respond to a call with automatic text.  I have no idea how to even do that, but I guess W does.  We only figured this out 4 hours later after lots of confusion… “you texted me.” “no, you texted me.”  “it says that text came from me, but I swear I didn’t type that…”


As for the littlest boy, I’m feeling movement every day and it’s exciting each and every time.  I can't wait for the big rolls and kicks.  I’m so looking froward to meeting this little guy.  I hope he has his brother’s red hair and light eyes.  "My boys"... that sure does have a nice ring to it. J

No comments:

Post a Comment