Monday, September 15, 2014

Weekend Recap

This weekend was… refreshing?  I can’t really think of a better way to describe it.  W actually slept through the night.  He was still up by 5:30 each morning, but I can handle that.  I was in bed by 9pm on both Friday and Saturday night and felt so much better after a good night’s sleep.  We didn’t have many plans this weekend, which was perfect.  There was still plenty to do, but without the added pressure of having to be somewhere at a certain time.  That will all change this coming weekend and next as we have school starting for W, a family wedding, a doctor’s appointment, and more.  Uggh.  Anyway, back to this past weekend…

W still has some sort of cold/allergy/drippy nose thing going on, but he’s been himself, which is great.  Saturday, I took my car in for an oil change and had plans to meet W and A for lunch.  I had my heart set on Egg Harbor, but the wait at 11:30am was 25 minutes.  Say what?  I thought we had arrived early enough.  Knowing W would probably not want to wait, we headed down the street to a Mexican restaurant.  It wasn’t Egg Harbor, but it was still tasty and W enjoyed people watching.  After that, I ran a couple other errands and W headed home for a nap.  Not much else to report.  With our cooler temps lately (which I love), I decided it would be a comfort food kind of weekend.  I tried a new macaroni and cheese recipe.  A and I agreed that it wasn’t great – we like the baked recipe I typically make.

Sunday was church.  A little note about church… we see the same people every weekend and I love that.  It really makes me happy.  We usually sit next to a little girl and a little boy – Kaylee and Ben, who attend church with their grandparents (separate grandparents – Kaylee and Ben aren’t related).  I would guess Kaylee is about 4 or 5 and Ben is 3 or 4.  So anyway, Kaylee often shares goldfish crackers with W.  She’s so incredibly sweet.  Ben is a typical boy, he gets restless and plays with cars, but W enjoys watching him.  W (reluctantly) shares his books with Kaylee and Ben (we’re working on sharing).  It’s so cute to see the three of them interact.  They were all SO well behaved yesterday.  Kaylee and Ben are both in tough situations.  Kaylee’s mom lost custody of her so Kaylee is taken care of by her grandma and foster parents.  But she really is the sweetest, very well behaved girl.  You’d never guess she was in such a tough situation.  And both of Ben’s parents passed away from drug addiction so he now lives with his grandparents.  Heartbreaking.  But again, aside from the typical boy rough and tumble-ness, you’d never know Ben was dealing with such a tough situation at a very young age.  And let me say that Ben’s grandfather was a lawyer and is now a prominent judge.  His uncle was high school valedictorian and graduated from the University of Notre Dame.  Kaylee’s grandmother is very involved in the community and it’s clear that she has high expectations of Kaylee.  I’m not sure what happened in the lives of Ben’s and Kaylee’s parents, but I do know that they had positive role models and wonderful families.  It actually scares me – no matter how much we teach our children and no matter what values we try to instill, they make their own choices in life and sometimes those choices have dire consequences.

Anyway, after church was Starbucks, I visited a friend for a short time, I made chicken tortilla soup and enchilada dip for dinner, A played outside with W, and we watched a little football.  All in all, a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment