Friday, January 9, 2015

Is This Week Over Yet??

I’m throwing in the towel, waving the white flag, surrendering to this week.

Wednesday was awful.  W was so sick.  Sicker than I’ve ever seen him.  Finally by 3pm, he was showing signs of the W we know and love.  I was able to get him in the bath and even play with toys.  It was the first time he had really been up and moving all day.

Thursday, it seemed as if W was back to his old ways.  A complete turnaround from the day prior.  He was eating a bit, talking, and he had plenty of energy.  I was so relieved, ecstatic even.  I just couldn’t believe how quickly things had changed.  I even thought he might make it to school on Saturday.  He was a completely different toddler.

And then 3:30 am happened.  W woke up screaming.  Completely inconsolable.  This went on for the better part of an hour.  A and I tried rocking, juice, food, looking out the window, Barney, anything and everything.  I asked what hurt, where the booboo was, but didn’t get any answers.  The only other times W has awoken extremely upset, he had an ear infection.  I figured there was a very good possibility that may be the case again.

It sucks trying everything to comfort your kiddo and have absolutely nothing work.  I also tried to get him to take Motrin, but he refused.

So A and I decided he needed to return to the doctor.  Screaming for the better part of an hour just wasn’t W.  We knew something was wrong.  I had an 8am meeting (by the way, 8am meetings are ridiculous and I despise them) so A offered to take a sick day and bring W to the doctor.

I felt terrible for not taking W.  I know A is perfectly capable and I knew it made more sense for A to take him.  A has 4 times the number of sick days I do and I’m trying to save mine for baby’s debut.  But I still felt like a crap mom.  Like I wasn’t going to be there when W needed me most.

Well, the verdict is in and W has a double ear infection.  In a way, I’m relieved that we have an answer.  But I’m also very sorry he’s feeling so poorly and I wonder how long he's had the infection.  And I'm disappointed – Just when I thought he was doing better, on the mend, things went downhill.  Ironically, he had his ears checked on Tuesday and they weren’t infected then.  The infection seemed to happen really quickly, but I guess that’s just how ear infections go.

So as far as I’m concerned, this week can suck it.  Between a sick W, hours upon hours in the car thanks to snow and more snow and horrible traffic, and little sleep, I’m just DONE.


No comments:

Post a Comment