Monday, January 26, 2015

(Long) Weekend Recap

Friday was such a weird day.  My morning was extremely busy.   I had a small breakfast and before I knew it, it was noon.  I usually have lunch around 11:30am.  By noon, I was shaky and hot and knew I needed to eat something fast.  I quickly ate lunch and felt better.  But at some point during the afternoon, I started feeling cramps and my back hurt.  I just didn't feel well.  I thought maybe I was hungry again.  I had a small breakfast and a somewhat small lunch – it seemed like enough, but I had had big lunches all week so I thought maybe I needed a snack to get me through the afternoon.  Had a snack and still just didn’t feel well.  I had also been drinking water throughout the day, so I didn't think I was dehydrated.  I made it through the work day, but started having contractions during my drive home.  They seemed different than the Braxton Hicks I’d been experiencing and were coming as often as every 5-7 minutes.

I finally got home and told A what was going on.  I was really nervous and ran upstairs to add things to my hospital bag while A ordered pizza and just seemed excited.  Meanwhile, W was HANGRY and being a tyrant.  The only times he’s really naughty are when he’s really hungry… look out!  In fact, he had already had his big fire truck taken away by the time I got home.  Anyway, A prepared to leave and pick up the pizza.  I initially asked him to bring W with him.  Between packing, contractions, and cramps, I wasn’t sure I was up to caring for W.  But I changed my mind last minute, feeling guilty that W had just gotten home and would have to leave again.  So for the next 30-45 minutes or so, I attempted to finish packing, time contractions, Google my symptoms, separate W from Addie many many times, and give W a time out for throwing a truck at Addie.  Fun times I tell you.

After eating dinner, I felt a bit better and the contractions had really slowed.  I went and sat in our big arm chair, hoping that resting would make me feel even better.  At this point, W started chasing Addie with a school bus and she jumped up on me to escape from W.  It hurt, but it was nothing significant.  I started crying.  My first hormonal, pregnant breakdown.  I’m actually surprised that I lasted as long as I did!!  While the tears were streaming, I kept thinking, I have no idea why I’m crying.  It was just a combination of the busy day, contractions, and feeling overwhelmed.  The contractions eventually stopped and the remainder of the night was uneventful.

Saturday morning, I headed to a doctor’s appointment while W and A headed to school.  From what I hear, school went very well.  I miss being able to go with W.  My appointment was interesting.  I got to the office and signed in, but no one was at the counter when I arrived.  I sat and waited.  After about 20 minutes I was finally called back.  I’m usually seen right away, but the wait was no big deal and I didn’t think much of it.  When I got to one of the exam rooms, the nurse told me that the receptionist hadn’t seen me check in.  The nurse knew that I was always on time and was worried about where I was – she had even called over to labor and delivery at the hospital.  Lol.  I had a long talk with my doctor, who, by the way, told me I was huge.  Great.  Thanks.  I expect that from random colleagues, but not my own doctor.  I told her I was still considering a vbac and she said she’d strongly advise against it.  She thought this was a big baby and would hate to see my labor for hours and end up with a c section anyway.  I had no strong opinions about either delivery option so I agreed to the c section.  Now, thinking about it, I’m not sure how I feel.  I hope I’m making the right choice, but I also question if I should have asked for a growth ultrasound to get a better idea of how big baby is.  If I make it to my scheduled c section date, this will all be a moot point.  But if I go into labor earlier, then I’ll wonder if I should have tried for a vbac.  My doctor pointed out that all that really mattered in the end was a healthy baby and I fully agree.  In her opinion, the risks of a vbac outweighed the tougher c-section recovery.

After that, I met A and W for lunch at Sweet Tomatoes.  We headed home and W and I both napped.  After W woke up, A and W went grocery shopping.  It was so so nice to have a break.  Bless that husband of mine.  I was still not feeling great and really appreciated some time to relax.

Saturday night, W would not go to sleep.  A eventually laid down with him in our extra bedroom.  Around 11pm, A tried to transfer W to his bed and W woke up.  I know A was so frustrated.  I sat next to W’s bed and rubbed his back.  I thought he was asleep and attempted to sneak out.  I have not perfected closing W’s door silently and in retrospect I should’ve just left it open.  I wasn’t loud, but that boy has impeccable hearing.  He started crying.  Poor A ended up taking W back to the day bed and slept there with him for the remainder of the night.  I slept horribly as well.  My back hurt badly no matter what position I laid in.  We were all awake before 6:30am.  Not a restful night.

We went to church on Sunday morning and W was his typical, good natured self.  He’s been cuddly during church lately and holds my hand during prayers – it’s incredibly sweet. J  After that, we headed to Starbucks.  A and I debated when nap would be.  We planned to leave our house by 12:15pm to pick up the final piece of nursery décor – letters that spell out baby’s name.  And after that, we had a family get together to attend.  So there really was no good time to nap and I knew W needed one after a rough night.  We decided to keep W up until we left the house, hoping he would sleep in the car.  Between picking up the letters and driving to the family get together, we were looking at 1.5-2 hours in the car.  Sufficient time to nap.  Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans… An hour into our outings, W was still awake.  He finally fell asleep close to 1:30pm.  We arrived at the family get together on time, but sat in the car about a half an hour so W could have at least an hour of sleep.  I just didn’t have the energy for a super cranky little man and I knew A didn’t either.

The get together went well.  W was great and got to play with his cousin who is just 6 weeks older.  All in all, a good day, but I think the busy weekend and hours in the car left me feeling extremely uncomfortable.  No matter what I did - sitting, standing, laying down, I just didn't feel comfortable.  Very sore, achy, short of breath.  I think I’ve finally reached the point in pregnancy where I’m ready to be done.  Oddly enough, I don’t think I ever felt that way with W.  So maybe this baby, is in fact ginormous.  My little Hercules. ;)

On the bright side, W slept great last night.  Phew!



2 comments:

  1. Good LUCK, Feel reasonably GOOD.

    I don't know if this will matter to you but here goes.

    With my 3rd son, my regular OB/GYN thought that he looked 'a little big'. I had to go for a bunch of extra sonograms w/a special radiologist doing the readings. The prediction was that #3 was going to be extra large, and they watched me more closely, kept doing extra sonos, and monitored me specially during delivery.

    This was at a top notch NYC hospital. Park Avenue docs.

    #3 turned out to weigh 7 and 1/2 so pounds, just like #1 and #2. That's the size I make :o).

    I had vaginal delivery for all 3.

    Point being, these sonograms, all sonograms, have a lot of wiggle room, error room.

    I agree with you & your doc - the goal is a healthy baby. And, may I add, a healthy mama - YOU!

    Keep keeping on until the big day!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel better!! Thank you!! :)

      Delete