Thursday, January 22, 2015

New Year's Resolutions (or lack thereof)

I don’t do New Year’s resolutions.  I can’t recall a single resolution I’ve made.  I just try to be the best me I can be.  Sounds cheesy.  It is cheesy.  But this girl is busy enough – who needs the added pressure of trying to achieve some lofty goal?!?  I recently came across this and thought it was a nice alternative to New Year’s resolutions.  I won’t hold myself to anything, but it was thought provoking.



A bad habit I’m going to break:  This is going to sound silly… I’m an avid list maker.  Lists for everything… to do lists at work, to do lists at home, lists of baby products to buy, lists of songs to add to Spotify, etc.  You get the idea.  I NEED lists.  But for some unknown reason, I NEVER make a grocery list.  I basically show up at the store and hope I remember to purchase all the groceries we need.  The problem?  I ALWAYS forget something (often I forget several somethings).  And that means that either A or I stops at the grocery store about 2-3 times per week, which is just crazy.  And unnecessary.  We also suck at dinner planning so I’ll add that to the improvement list as well (see… I love lists).

A new skill I’d like to learn:  Fitting into my pre-pregnancy pants.  No, really.  My favorite store had pants on sale for 60% off… less than $25 a pair.  And for some reason, I thought it was a good idea to buy 4 pairs in my pre-pregnancy size.  I now have buyer’s remorse.  I probably should have bought at least one pair in the next size up.  Yikes.  Ok, I admit, that’s not a skill.  But it’s all I’ve got right now.  Here’s hoping that a toddler and newborn will turn out to be a great weight loss plan!

A person I hope to be more like:  This is easy… My mom and A, but for different reasons.  My mom is super super outgoing.  I am not.  I don’t think I’m unfriendly; I’m just not as sociable as she is.  My mom will talk to anyone and everyone.  I’ve always been on the quiet side.  So I’d like to be more outgoing, get to know more people.  As for A, he’s very laid back.  He doesn’t let things get to him or bother him.  I’d like to more relaxed.  I think motherhood has a tendency to force you to lighten up and I’ve definitely gotten better at not taking things so seriously, but I’d like to continue to improve.

A good deed I’m going to do:  We’ll continue to adopt a family during the holidays and I’ll work at my high school’s auction.  I’d also like to buy someone’s coffee for them at Starbucks.  An easy, simple gesture that could make someone’s day.

A place I’d like to visit:  Ireland!  Hoping for another opportunity since I missed my chance.

A book I’d like to read:  Hahaha.  Does People magazine count?  How about Green Eggs and Ham?  Honestly, I read Divergent and would like to read the next two books, but I doubt I’ll find the time.

A letter I’m going to write:  Hahaha.  I do plan to send post cards to W’s BFF in Georgia.  I got the post cards almost a year ago and never mailed them.  Terrible.  My friend and I decided our boys would be pen pals – they’ve exchanged a couple post cards (you know, with the help of their moms), but we both dropped the ball.

A new food I’d like to try:  Hmmm… sadly, I can’t think of anything.  I’m not very adventurous when it comes to food.  I’m open to suggestions!

I’m going to do better at:  Umm, didn’t I already list enough things above??  I would like to get better at planning activities for W.  Pinterest probably has a ton of easy activities for toddlers.  Instead of blogging, I should use my lunch break to look up some of those!!  Update:  I wrote this a couple weeks ago and I have started pinning some ideas.  Yay!  But holy moly, there are a ton!  I’m overwhelmed!

No comments:

Post a Comment